Platelet Rich Plasma
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is a concentrate of your own blood that contains high numbers of platelets. It can be placed or injected into a certain area to exploit the platelets function and therefore enhance wound healing and to help rejuvenate skin.
Your blood is essentially made up of four components; red blood cells, white blood cells, the plasma and the platelets. PRP harnesses the beneficial functions of the patients own platelets and therefore there is no risk of allergy or rejection of the treatment.
What are the benefits
PRP stimulates collagen and elastin production, by depositing growth factors from your own blood at the site of injection. This improves elasticity in the skin and reduces fine lines, wrinkle and crepeiness. It is most effective when injected around the eyes and neck.
It is also used to help reduce hair loss and thinning hair.
It is an extremely safe procedure as we are using your own blood to help stimulate collagen production, therefore the risk of allergic reaction and complications associated with other cosmetic procedures are significantly reduced.
HOW DOES IT WORK
A topical anaesthetic is applied to the area that will be treated. Then, our clinician will draw a small sample of blood, which is then spun in a centrifuge for approximately five minutes to separate the plasma from the other blood particles. The platelet rich plasma is then reinjected back into the treatment area to stimulate collagen and elastin production.
WHO IS IT FOR
PRP is great for anyone who is concerned by any areas of skin that are starting to lose elasticity and volume. It’s also a highly effective method for stimulating your body’s cells to produce new, healthy looking skin and is extremely effective for that delicate under eye area where often clients notice signs of ageing first and where no laser can be used. It is also used to increase the structural integrity and health of the skin, particularly skin that has had more than its fair share of sun damage over the years.
IS IT A NEW PROCESS
PRP is not new and has long been recognised and used in the hospital system and in sports medicine for its effective wound healing properties since the 1970s.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT
- Results may be visible as early as 3 weeks and improve gradually over ensuing months with improvement in texture and tone.
- Cosmeceutical and Light therapies can enhance the results.
- Advanced wrinkling cannot be reversed and a minimal improvement is predictable in persons with alcohol and tobacco abuse.
- Severe scarring may not respond.
- Further plasma treatment is also popular and safe. PRP is effective and well tolerated.
- Results can vary with one own genetic makeup and health.
- Most patients will require three treatments at four intervals. The first thing people notice is an improvement in skin turgor and elasticity. Collagen production can take up to three months to occur and the results can differ depending on the individual. Because the injected product is 100% your own, factors such as smoking, stress and illness can effect results. A series of three treatments can yield results for up to two years.